Monday 13 August 2007

25 Jul 2007

Here it is:

1. The Simpsons 1989 – Current
I grew up watching The Simpsons; I remember watching it long before I started school. Back then I don't think I realised it was a comedy, I think I just enjoyed the stories and bright colours. I must have watched every episode in season 1 to 8 over 50 times - at least (actually, that's a lot of Simpsons, it's a lot anyway). They never get old; in fact every time I watch a Simpsons episode I find something I've never noticed before, I get a reference I might not have picked up before. Although the new episodes aren't great and they've resorted to lots of slap stick and poor satire that they've just thrown in for the sake of it, seasons 1 to 9 are some of the best TV ever made.


2. Seinfeld 1989 – 1998
The first episode I watched was "The Contest", often seen as the best episodes of the show and I didn't immediately take to it. It looks dated, as it should - it's as old as me! But I gave it time and I ended up buying the season 1, 2 and 3 box-set. As I watched the seasons through in order, I began to really love the show and I ended up going out and buying all the seasons on DVD. Seinfeld is the ultimate sitcom; nothing comes close to the ground Seinfeld covers, in fact I constantly find myself saying "oh, that's on episode of seinfeld" and of course, no one cares. It's inspired so much that came after it, more so than a lot of people realise and I'm sure anyone who's watched a lot of episodes will agree. Like The Simpsons, you can watch Seinfeld again and again and it only improves with multiple viewings.


3. Curb Your Enthusiasm 2000 – Current
Larry David's follow up to Seinfeld: Curb Your Enthusiasm, covers everything Seinfeld couldn't. Because Curb aired on HBO it opened a whole new door, allowing Larry to do exactly what he wanted. I don't think I'll even bother sating how good this program is; it just is. Watch it, it's currently the best thing on TV (well it will be when it returns this year) and it's probably the best sitcom...ever! With the exception of Seinfeld. I guess I just did some stating there.


4. The Day Today 1994 – 1994
One of the best British comedies to exist and it gave us Partridge. The brilliance of Armando Iannucci and Chris Morris, a perfect satire of news programs and perhaps the most quotable show ever. You'd think it would age but it's still very much an accurate portrayal of the news.


5. I'm Alan Partridge 1997 – Unknown
Easily one of the best shows created. Once again Armando Iannucci's brilliance combined with Coogan's brilliant comic acting and writing. It's a show I've watched hundreds of times and I still find it hilarious. Plus, Partridge is one of the greatest characters in comedy.


6. The Adam & Joe Show 1996 – 2001
The ultimate pop culture comedy show. The Adam & Joe DVD is the one of the finest DVDs I've watched and everything on it is fantastic. Hilarious through and through and one of the best shows of the 90's.


7. Monty Python's Flying Circus 1969 – 1974
Simply the best sketch show ever made. Even when it's not funny (which it very rarely isn't) it's inventive. Clearly one of the most influential and surreal shows ever made and the humour never gets old.


8. The Larry Sanders Show 1992 – 1998
It's the holidays, it's 2:00 am, I've got a pint of Lidl chocolate milk and it's time for Larry Sanders on ITV 4! I wont bang on about it but this is one of the best sitcoms ever made, The Office is forever in it's debt, it's fantastic, Hank Kingsley is fantastic! Like Seinfeld you need to watch it from the start, it's all about character development but a few episodes in you'll grow to love it.


9. The Sopranos 1999 – 2007
The finest TV drama of all time, it's such a gripping show. It makes ITV dramas look Doctors! Although, they're already a lot like Doctors. That's a good show: Doctors.


10. Louis Theroux's Weird Weekends 1999 – Current
Perhaps I placed this too high but it's such an interesting and funny program. I think Louis Theroux's interview technique is brilliant and he seems like a genuine, funny and smart guy. Weird Weekends is a program I never tire of.

11. The Office (UK) 2001 – 2002
The best British sitcom of the last decade. It owes a lot to other shows, namely Larry Sanders, Curb and The Simpsons according to Gervais but it's hardly a rip off. It's a greatly original show that never really dips in quality, the cast are one of the finest in sitcom history and every episode has me in stitches. I also feel proud to be one of the few people who watched this when it first aired, well not really proud.

12. The Wonder Years 1988 – 1993
Such a lovely program, it's just lovely. I've been fighting back the tears before, after watching episodes of this. It's sometimes a bit too sentimental but it tackles the subjects it talks about so well. I always remember the episode where Kevin learns to play the piano and he's gifted but there's someone who plays better than him, so he gives it up and at the end it's got him outside listening to this guy play the piano and his future himself (if that makes sense) says "funny thing is, I can't remember how to play cannon in D major" I was almost in tears. Kevin's a small boy by the way, if that helps add to the sadness. Go watch this, I want to talk to someone about how sad it is, the episodes called "Coda."

13. Brass Eye 1997 and a 2001 Special
A news night version of The Day Today; one of the best satires to exist. Simply hilarious and apparently very offensive to complete twats.

14. The Wire 2002 – Current
Currently the best drama on TV and heir to the Sopranos.

15. Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe 2006 – Current
Just about the best British show currently on TV. I urge everyone to watch this, if you like satire you'll love this. Brooker can seem a little full on at first but he comes up with some hilarious stuff. If you want this, I'll happily give you a DVD of it, just PM me.

16. Arrested Development 2003 – 2006
A funny, intelligent sitcom that develops beautifully throughout the seasons. Three of the best seasons of anything you can buy on DVD. The humour at times is a little 'zany' but it's a great show that deserves a place on TV a lot more crap like My Family. You'll fall in love with all the characters, it's just a show you can just watch and watch.

17. South Park 1997 – Current
Sometimes I feel South Park goes too far and it goes down the shock humour route, using cheap gags. It also encourages twats to insult Jews and use that word, you know the one? The one with the N. But it's a great show that I've followed since year 5 when Ben Ralph and myself were involved in a "South Park V Rugrats" discussion, where are fellow classmates taunted us for liking South Park, despite never actually seeing it. Within days they were hooked.

18. The Phil Silvers Show 1955 – 1959
Also know as Sgt. Bilko, The Phil Silvers Show wrote the blue print for a lot of US comedy and although it's clearly dated, the humour isn't. If you like Top Cat you'll like Bilko.

19. Peep Show 2003 – Current
One of the best shows around. It dipped in series 3 and 4 but it's still a fantastic show. I'm afraid it's been adopted by absolute twats and now everyone claims to love it but I can live with that, it's a great show. The characters are likable and it's infectiously quotable.

20. Mr. Show 1995 – 1998
Much in the style of Monty Python's Flying Circus, Mr. Show stars comedians David Cross and Bob Odenkirk in a series of sketches that vary from hilarious to just very surreal but the funny bits are very funny and the show flows beautifully between each sketch, it's a shame more sketch shows aren't this inventive.

21. The Honeymooners 1955 – 1956
I don't actually find The Honeymooners that funny and it's dated - more so than Bilko, but it's compulsive viewing that has the odd laugh here and there.

22. The Armando Iannucci Shows 2001 – 2001
A hugely inventive show by one of my favourite writers. I tried showing this to people and I don't think they liked it. There's a lot of building of jokes and it gets lost on people if they don't follow the jokes. I know, it probably doesn't seem like that when you watch it on your own. It's a fantastic show and I've watched it many times since I bought the DVD.

23. Garth Marenghi's Darkplace 2004 – 2004
A brilliant parody of 1980s TV shows with a great cast. Worth buying on DVD, you'll be in stitches. I recommend listening to the commentary as well because I found it to be just as funny as the actual show.

24. The Thick Of It 2005 – Current
Another Armando Iannucci classic. A fly on the wall style that satires the inner workings of British government. A fantastic cast and hilarious writing from Iannucci.

25. It's Garry Shandling's Show 1986 – Unkown
A breaking the fourth wall sitcom with comedian Garry Shandling. It not up there with Sandling's later success, The Larry Sanders Show but it's still a great show.

26. Father Ted 1995 – 1998
A consistently hilarious sitcom that I'm sure will never age due it's already archaic setting and characters. One of the best sitcoms ever made.

27. Look Around You 2002 – 2005
A parody of 1980's learning programs executed with pinpoint accuracy. Both series are brilliant in their own right despite being completely different.

28. 15 Storeys High 2002 – 2003
An incredily slow paced sitcom playing on the Seinfeld idea of a sitcom about nothing. Likable characters and very funny indeed.

29. Futurama 1999 – 2003
Forever in the shadow of The Simpsons although it's ten times better than The Simpsons are currently. One of the best cartoons around; due to make it's return next year.

30. The Mighty Boosh 2004 – Present
It's liked by absolute morons with a "random" sense of humour but it's a good show with a lot of originality.

31. Malcolm In The Middle 2000 – 2006
I'm not sure if Malcom In The Middle's that great but I really enjoy watching it. Sometimes it seems too predictable but other times it feels really well written. I remember watching the first episode round someones house when it first came on Sky 1 around 2000 and I thought it was pretty good.

32. Nevermind The Buzzcocks 1996 – Current
Great panel show that's remained consistent through the years.

33. Big Train 1998 – 2002
Excellent sketch show that varies in quality but most of it hits the spot.

34. Spaced 1999 – 2001
A great sitcom that actually develops over the series.

35. I Love Lucy 1957 – 1951
One of the all time great sitcoms. Like Bilko and The Honeymooners it's dated but it's still great to watch.


36. Faulty Towers 1975 – 1979
One of the shortest and yet brilliant sitcoms ever made.

37. King Of The Hill 1975 – Current
Very subtle but effective use of humour.

38. Arthur 1996 – 2007
The happiest show ever.

39. Phoenix Nights 2002 – Current
I have a love hate relationship with Pheonix Nights but it's a nice sitcom.

40. Charlie Brown 1963 – Unknown
Mainly for the Christmas special, it's lovely.

41. Marion and Geoff 2000 – 2003
Simplisic yet brilliant.

42. Coogans Run 1995 – 1996
Loads of laughs and loads of hilarious characters.

43. People Like Us 1995 – 1997
Great show, nice theme tune. (Sorry I couldn't think of anything good to say, but it's good trust me)

44. Deadwood 2004 – 2006
Cowboy masturbation.

45. The Littlest Hobo 1963 – 1965
The theme tune alone brings tears to my eyes.

46. The Old Grey Whistle Test 1971 – 1987
Better than Jools Holland, great fun to watch. Great bands.

47. Ripping Yarns 1977 – 1979
More brilliance from former Pythons Jones and Palin.

48. Trigger Happy TV 2000 – 2002
I've heard people (Internet people, so not real people) express a dislike for Trigger Happy TV but it's good and very funny, at times. Sadly it gave way to a lot of shit programs, like Balls of Steel - seriously it's shit, please everyone boycott this.

49. Later With Jools Holland 1992 – Current
I think it was Nick that said "I like Later With Jools Holland but I wish it could be on early with a different presenter" that's essentially how I feel about it too.

50. Incredible Games 1994 – 1995
Technically an awful show but there's a lot of nostalgia surrounding this flawed classic.




Shows that didn't make the cut:
Neighbours: So many years of laughter but Sky really annoys me these days.
Hollyoaks: It's just so bad, they pick and choose strorylines and things are constantly left unexplained, yet I still watch it.
UBOS: It's just Harry Potter for cool kids.
Cheers: It's fun but I don't love it.
Ed: Ed's lovely but some of his friends are dicks.
Frasier: That nanny, I wont say her name but you know the one.
M*A*S*H: Dull at times.
Taxi: I like this, just not a lot.
Big Brother: This annoys me a lot but once again, I still watch it.
Babecast: I love watching girls hump the ground as much as the next guy but it's not a favourite of mine.

No comments: